Saturday, April 26, 2008

could it be today?

i woke up around 9am to some strange new contractions that felt at first crampy, then like they were grabbing at my cervix. i laid there and waited....sure enough another rolled around....could it be? i was happy that my reaction was not that of "oh, craaaaaap" but more of excitement...nervousness, really, but i wrangled it into excitement as soon as it occurred to me that i might "scare off" the contractions that i have have really been hoping for. not that i am excited to be in labor...but i don't want to go too long and start having more worries that maybe something is wrong with me, blah blah blah, and i am anxious to meet our new baby.

so i stayed side-lying for a good 45 minutes, and i had one about every 7 minutes. some were intense, others petered out before they got big. none lasted for very long, maybe 20-30 seconds. blake brought me breakfast in bed (not unusual) but i didn't say a peep, again didn't want to syke myself out. i ate my scrambled eggs and ham with toast...they still kept coming. so i finally got up and peed and had another good sign that these contractions were doing something significant: lots of mucus. i headed downstairs with a silly, nervous grin on my face, and met the family out back where the sun was shining (finally)--blake was in great spirits and exclaimed "isn't this the perfect day?!" they had already started weeding the lavendar bed. i just grinned and said "yes...it is a perfect day....maybe to have a baby?" i told him what i was feleing but we both played it super cool. we're professionals, we know when to get excited and when to ride it out. we headed to breanas to borrow her lawn trimmer, and i let her in on the haps, still playing it cool but of course she was all excited. we told her that blake was still headed to work-as-usual and she said she'd run her errands quickly then come back just to be at my disposal.

i went on as usual as well--sitting at the computer slowed things down, going outside and weeding felt good, but also my hands were really tight and puffy and it made that task difficult. i sat on the pot for a while and there was lots of bloody mucus--i knew my cervix was doing something good! i decided to call the wives just to let them know where i was at. wondered if they wanted to come and take my blood pressure since my hands were so puffy and i'd had slightly elevated bp last visit. but the oh-so-calm beth assured me that it had just been a little high for me, and i'd had no protein in my urine or any other signs of concern this whole time--the puffiness for me is not worrisome. keep about my normal routine and call if there were changes. can do! i took a nice shower and had a snack of cottage cheese and canned pears, my new favorite snack. so white trash, i know...


breana came home and the girls went to hang there for the afternoon while i rested--by rested i mean i ate cookies and drank milk and watched a few episodes of "what not to wear." by 4, i realized i had not had a real lunch and brought a chicken, bacon, avocado and lettece sandwich across the street while the kids rode bikes. breana began photo-documenting what i know she believes to be a "birthday"--what a dork! (heeeeheeehhee, i love you, dork!)

its 6 now and i am back home, waiting for blake to get home. i really want our family put back together! tomorrow is the start of our weekend and i am curious to see if things pick up when he gets home. oh, here comes another one....forgot to time it since the last...maybe another 7 minutes....open mouth, deep breath...wowser......okay it passed.

14 comments:

UrbanHippieMama said...

I was trying to be nonchalant!!

What a beautiful day to labor! I could tell that your contractions were very different: you are focusing through each one, swaying back and forth... such a wonderful sign.

Thanks for letting me a part of your labor today. It is so enjoyable to get to experience it vicariously!

Let me know if you need ANYthing.

xoxoxo

Amy said...

Sounds like things are happening and this miiiiight be it!!!!!!!

Let me know when/if I should cut the bracelet!

Happy laboring Leah, you are a fierce labor warrior, you can do it!!!!

Love you!!!!

I thought it might be today since MDC was down and it was a GORGEOUS day!!!

Lee said...

I am thinking of you!! (Actually, I've been thinking of you all day and have kept checking your blog :).) Sending lots of love and light and wonderful labor vibes your way...

angstmonkey said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh How exciting! I can't wait to hear what happens/ed next. I hope for a smooth wonderful delivery :)

elliesmadre said...

I'm so excited! You are going to do wonderfully Leah. And perfect timing for Blake's days off. I wish I was there.

Sending strength and love your way. Love to all of you. :)

Numinosity said...

woooo! Thinking of you mama! wooooo!!

xo Korin

hendreque said...

fingers crossed. You're a strong, beautiful mama! Can't wait to hear what happens next!

Comptons said...

I'll be thinking of you tonight, sending out vibes that you get the labor you want and we wake up tomorrow to the news that a beautiful new babe has peacefully joined the world. :-)

nicole said...

How exciting Leah! Thinking of you and your family...wishing you a beautiful birth journey!

radishly said...

All eyes on Leah! :D

I'll miss Pregnant Leah and all of her beautiful poses and musings, but I am so excited for you, and can't wait to meet this newest little person.

Calm and strength coming your way Leah.

Aimee said...

Good luck and wishes to you momma!! I can't wait to hear all about it and see who this beautiful little person is! <3

Cat said...

This morning I called Noelle to see if she had heard anything about you yet. I check this blog habitually throughout the day. I'm so excited for you!

Cat

elliesmadre said...

So, I called Breana at 9 to say how excited I was for Leah, and Rich said she was getting the kids to sleep. I said for her to call me back later if she wasn't busy. She hasn't called...which I take to mean that somebody's having a baby.

:)

North said...

Thinking of you. I know you have the best women in the world to stand by you when this baby arrives (both in the professional category, and in the friends category).

Much love to you and your family.

~adina