Monday, August 4, 2008

Us? Weekend warriors?

Something about the summertime and Blake having a 5-day work week again, makes us a productive team on the weekends. The first successful project: a front fence so Papa Nomad can roam freely without clothing. We found all of this metal at the Rebuilding Center on Mississippi Street for cheeeeeap! Although now *sniff sniff* I cannot gaze freely at my she-lovah across the way, I do like the way it looks and it creates a cool woodsy haven for the kids. The center section will be filled in with tall, clumping bamboo. Blake rocked this project with a lot help from MG and a little from me and Isa--it took 2 weekends and less than $100.


Here is a peeps at the little man....he still loves his nightly swaddle!
The next big project promised was a play structure--inspired by the cement feet leftover from the old pool deck we tore down last summer. We tried twice to get recycled lumber from the rebuild store, as well as lurking around some construction site dumpsters to no avail--the corrugated roof is recycled though, and the railing slats are salvaged from our old Ikea bed. (Oh, and Breana we "borrowed" a 4x4 post we found laying around in your yard, in case I forget to tell you when you get back!) Here's all of us ladies pitching in to prime it, pre-roof (which was a bitch to get up there, let me tell you--we're both amazed there were no trips to Urgent Care during this whole thing.)

We wore the proof of our painting all weekend on our hands.
BABY MEAT FAT!!!!
Our hero! Doing all the hard work.....
The berries were looking mighty fine so we harvested what we could....
...and I told the girls we could make a crisp. Summer rules.
It's always so special when Mayan can enjoy a homemade dessert (note the paint smear on her forehead):
Almost done!! The proud Papa in front of Das Kinderhaus. Project total: 2 weekends and under $200. (and WAY burlier/cooler than those store-bought ones...)

9 comments:

elliesmadre said...

That play structure is awesome! I bet the girls love it, and Blake looked so happy making it.

Nicole said...

The play structure is great! We are currently building one in our heads that we want to put up. We really want a slide though. Also-I want a nomad t-shirt for Thurston...when I get there in a couple of days....maybe B could hook me up?
I can't wait to see all of you...I can't believe how big Georgie is....
Love-
N

leahsmom said...

Nice work! I cant quite picture where its located but I have something of an idea. I hope there are some berries left when we see you again.

Jennifer said...

Your children are all SO beautiful! XOXOXOXO

mamachiro said...

wow! what an awesome play structure... very inspiring! and i love the swaddle pic :)

LA RN said...

Love the playhouse and the fence! Can't wait to see them in person :)

Lee said...

This was a great post! I totally cracked up about B wanting to roam around in the nude. I totally get that. We just need some curtains for the windows in the back of our house and we can do the same thing.

The swaddle picture is amazing. I wonder if my next child would like that.

Anyway, thanks for sharing all those great pictures. You all look really happy!

Amy said...

Man, I haven't swaddled the bean in ages...I think he'd probably freak out if I did it now. LOL

But Gman looks so darn happy and comfortable, it makes ME want to get all swaddled up! LOL

High five on the weekend warriorness. That's awesome, guys.

Bill & Savannah said...

rocking play structure nomad fam!

Savvy