Tuesday, September 16, 2008

what we read this summer

This summer we decided to cut back our cable and read more books. Blake and I both were readers once-upon-a-time but since we've been together (nearing 8 years) we've really only each read a handful of books. It was a wonderful experiment and a successful one at that. In classic Blake-style, he went at it in full-force...one of the many reasons I love this man is his determined and impassioned nature. I had to laugh when I saw the reoccurring theme of his final list--such an atheist! *chuckles and shakes head* Nearly half of his list are things he read in his late teens and early 20's that had profoundly influenced him and he very much enjoyed the greater depth the 2nd time around now that he is older (like the Miller stuff). I, myself, am proud of my own list which is well-rounded and done while caring for a newborn. Technically, I think we started reading in the spring and just finished our last book on the list a week ago. But whatevah.


B's books:
Tropic of Capricorn (Henry Miller)
Blackspring (Henry Miller)--possibly his fave H.M. book
Crazy Cock (Henry Miller)--not his favorite H.M book
The Will to Doubt (Bertrand Russel)
Why I Am Not a Christian (Bertrand Russel)
The Portable Atheist (Christopher Hitchens)
Me of Little Faith (Lewis Black)
Nothing Sacred (Lewis Black)
Beware of God (Shalom Auslander)--Blake's favorite new author, check out The Foreskin's Lament
Up Til Now (William Shatner)
Aku-Aku (Thor Heyerdahl)
Growing Up In New Guinea (Margaret Mead)
The Painted Bird (Jerzey Kosinski)--oy, Blake says, you should be forewarned for this one....VERY heavy--geezma jones....

Lou's books:
A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini)
The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)--best read of the summer for me, I am so unoriginal :)
The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Jessie and Susan Wise)
How to Grow More Vegetables (John Jeavons)
Animal Vegetable Mineral (Barbara Kingsolver)
Blink (Malcolm Gladwell)--author of The Tipping Point. A recommendation from Blake's dad.

Mayan's books:
The Tale of Despereaux (Kate Dicamillo)--we LOVED this, a tad intense, better for 6 and up. While googling this I found out that it is being made into a movie)
Charlotte's Web (E.B. White)
Where the Sidewalk Ends (Shel Silverstein)--Mayan first full poetry book
The Witches (Roald Dahl)--too freaky for Isadore


Did you have a favorite read this summer, bloggers?

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

We read Milo:
- Matilda (Roald Dahl)
- Danny, Champion of the World (Roald Dahl)
- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
- Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic and
- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (all by Betty MacDonald)

Next up is Mary Poppins, I think

I read...oh, boy, I just re-read the entire Harry Potter series to prepare myself for reading them in (erp) Spanish, which I just started yesterday. Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal is the first one. It took me 30 minutes to read 2 pages. So in 2015, I might have gotten through Harry Potter y las reliquias de la muerte. Dios mio.

And I'm 1/3 of the way into A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

And I started but didn't get through the Septimus Heap books

And I am pretty sure my bedside pile has rotated a lot more than that this summer, but nothing is standing out as much as those 3...hum.

Oh, I have a new book on order: Playing Catch, a Midwife's Memoirs by Sally Urang. I'm excited for that.

Jamie read the Hobbit and LOTR series - again.

Zel likes a book called "Rock-a-Baby-Band" and also one called "Lamby Lamb"

Nicole said...

I am an obsessive reader.
This summer I have read:
The entire Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyers. (Good modern, old fashioned gothic vampire romance).
What Came Before He Shot Her by Elizabeth George.
The Barrens and Others by F. Paul Wilson.
Jack, Secret Histories by F. Paul Wilson
Lamb, Christopher Moore
Where God was Born, Bruce Feiler
Walking the Bible, Bruce Feiler
I Asked for Wonder, A. Heschel
Fearless Fourteen, J. Evanovich

I love to read seris, which many of these books listed are. The favorite book this season would have to have been Lamb. For somebody who has been deeply engrossed in Jewish Studies (i know, i know...far cry from your atheism, but....)reading a book that had a HUGE sense of humor about religion was just what i was looking for. Christopher Moore is a great writer, and I highly recommend him. He is not a religious writer, and reminds me a bit of Tom Robbins.
With this said, F. Paul Wilson is my favorite author at this time, I am just waiting for more new stuff from him. Has B read any HP Lovecraft?

As to Thurston, we aren't into the longer books yet, but definately moving that direction. I can't wait to read chapter books with him.

Lastly, I have to agree with you, The Poisonwood Bible is an amazing book. I have not read Amimal Vegetable Mineral yet, and eager to do so.

Lee said...

Random Family was a book that was an eye-opener this summer.

I also loved Three Junes and The Whole World Over.

I have a list of books I've read on my sidebar on my blog, so that's the only reason I remember what I read, lol.

Hedro said...

I've been kinda bad this summer on the reading front, but upon yours, and the suggestion of a few other women, and then my mom's insistent hunting, since it appears to be out of print, I fell in love with "The Red Tent." Wow. Just. Wow.

That and lots and lots of Curious George, Lilly, Dr. Seuss, and several others that I'm blanking on right now. :-)

-H

elliesmadre said...

E has so many books on her bookshelf. It's always something different that we are reading.

What did I read this year...

The Other Boleyn Girl
The Ethical Slut
Lots of magazines

My books to read are:

Women Who Run With the Wolves
White Oleander
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Virgin Suicides
A Million Little Pieces

And Jimi doesn't read books. lol

I tagged you in a meme on my blog. :)

Cat said...

-Twilight series (Breaking Dawn, New Moon, etc...) - Stephenie Meyer

-A New Earth- Eckert Tolli

Eat, Love, Pray - Elizabeth Gilbert

-Alcoholics Anonymous - Bill Wilson