Wednesday, November 5, 2008

And then there was one...(aka Zeek's Obituary)


Man, 2 pets in two weeks. First the kitty disappears without a trace.

And then today....Zeek passed away. We knew this weekend that it was the end, and we gave it a a few days to see if he would go peacefully, but today it was clear he wasn't going down easy, so we got him "the drugs." The vet did it at home and that made it so nice for everyone.

We're fine--he was old (15 years), mostly deaf and partially blind, and had trouble navigating stairs. We're mostly glad he isn't suffering. But it is going to take some time to adjust. I mean he's always been there. Zeek was at Blake's side the first time I went to hang out at his house. That adorable massive, stalky, red-haired body, snarfing around with his one floppy ear....its going to be weird without him around. That was really clear after dinner when we intentionally dropped some chicken scraps on the floor...no one to clean it up.




So thank you, Zeek, for keeping our floors clean.

Thank you for the hack-saw snoring that told us we were never alone.

Thank you for being our doorbell and for being the protector of our castle (Geebus knows you scared the shit out of some service dudes and solicitors...) and for making me feel safe enough to sleep on nights my husband was out of town.

Thanks for putting up with us filling our house with crying babies and rambunctious children.

Thank you for not biting the hand that fed you. You were a good, good dog.

(Oh, and sorry about that time before we moved to Portland that we put you on Craigslist. That was dumb. But we really thought you might be happier with other dogs, and not with little kids around. We are really glad no one called. Again, very sorry.)


And now a poem, written today by Mayan:


Wish You Were Alive

The time has come to die, my friend.

I'm sorry about that.
The time has come to die, my friend.

I swear to that.


I'm sorry about that.

I love you, Zeek.


--Mayan Grace, 11-05-08

And finally, the happiest photo--this is how I would like to remember the Zeeber, in sheer doggy bliss, rolling in the grass with mouth open and genitals airing, giving himself a doggie back rub:



15 comments:

korin said...

aw mama. hug.

i loved mayan's poem!

UrbanHippieMama said...

so sad for you guys... i'm sure it's never easy. glad he had a good long life, and lots of love.

Nicole said...

I am so sad for you.
I kid you not, Thurston and I were just talking about Zeke today. My laptop screensaver is from my photos, and I have several of Zeke from our 2 trips to visit you. How strange, that today we should be talking about him.
Our love to your family. We have been there, and understand.
Love-
N, J, & T

Lee said...

Awww, rest in peace good doggie.

elliesmadre said...

I'm so sorry. I'm glad he was able to go in peace at home with you all. How is Blake holding up? He was a good dog. :)

leahsmom said...

Fat tears roll down my cheeks. Thank you for sharing Zeek with us when we lived on Tweet Street. He made me feel safe and I loved brushing his hair out on the porch. I'll never forget him barking up the tree and discovering the family of racoons. Zeek you will be missed! My heart goes out to you all in your gtief. Love forever mom

Amy said...

We should all be so lucky to have Zeek's in our lives and as our guardian angel pooches.

Love to yous!

radishly said...

Awe, hugs to the family. It's hard to lose members of the tribe.

angstmonkey said...

Oh Leah.... my heart goes out to your entire clan. I know I am not much of a dog person but I really liked Zeek. We send you lots of love.

Rebekah said...

Oh, that made me cry. You guys got a LOT of loving time with him. 15! YOWSA! He must have been the best-taken-care-of dog EVER!

Best wishes for healing and love today and all this next year - it's TOUGH to lose a family member!!!!

LA RN said...

Oohh! Mayan's poem... tear jerker. Zeke was so patient and loving with your growing family. Totally selfless and willing to share. Thanks for doing "the drugs".

LA RN said...

PS. 105 in doggie years!!!

Nora Bee said...

My condolences. I read this with a heavy heart, since my beloved cat has I think begun the decline. I'm so not ready.

Marketing Mama said...

Oh how sad. He looks like he was a fabulous dog. I really love the poem. It's beautiful.

Mrs. G. said...

I'm so sorry. What a sweet pup.