Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Smootches

Oh, blog world, I miss you! My computer is painfully slow right now and there seems to be OTHER things to do than sit at the computer and follow the lives of others. I have so many blog ideas rolling around in my brain right now and just not enough of a window to sit down and pound them out. So while my injured hubby relaxes on the couch (pinched nerve in his back) and a glass of wine waits for me on the kitchen counter I will quickly share my cookie of the week....one of the most simple cookies in the world yet I have never made them until the other day. Perfect cold weather cookie recipe and the ingredients are always there. This is from Nigella Lawsons's How to Be a Domestic Goddess:

Snickerdoodles:

Combine the following in a bowl:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream together these in this order:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix dry into wet until smooth (can take some time, it's thicker than most cookie doughs) then squeeze off pieces of dough and roll between palms into walnut sized balls. Roll these little babies into a mixture of:

2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Place on a cookie sheet (I did not grease and it was fine but the recipe says "prepared") and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. These are not meant to be flat, but more like a denser, drier doughnut hole. They are really irresistable and great with a cup of tea.


Hope to catch up with my "followers" soon.

XOXO

6 comments:

LA RN said...

Poor hubby back! Warm goodies coming out of the oven help the healing process.

I just made my first ever apple pie. Not as good as mom's but not too shabby.

UrbanHippieMama said...

these sound soooo yummy, and surprisingly easy to make-- i didn't realize!

i feel the same way about my blog! i have sooooo many ideas and things just waiting for me to post -- but life won't STOP!

xo

leahsmom said...

I loved making snickerdoodles for you kids. They were like magic. The aroma was comforting. Sorry about Blakes pinched nerve. Been there, done that. Ice and heat, then ice again. love MoM

mamayogalove said...

sorry to hear about Blake...
much love to you all.
i am going to try these cookies tomorrow....xoxoxoxox

Jay said...

If my final moments on this Earth are spent holding my loved ones and cramming a handful of snickerdoodles into my face, it would be the most peaceful of passings I could ever imagine.

elliesmadre said...

Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies! Yum. :)