Saturday, December 6, 2008

(mini) Nomad week in review


since we're considering raising ducks for meat, i figured i better try roasting one myself first. not as tender as i am used to with duck, maybe i roasted it at a too high temperature....i am open to suggestions, please! but the flavor was delish and i served it with roasted squash soup and rice with chard, apples, carrots, and mushrooms. 

the boy is growing, growing, growing. i've had to buy new clothes for him as he is just a giant seven-month-old. he spent the week dirtying up the knees of his new organic Hannah Andersson pajamas since he is all over the place now. he has even climbed the three steps going from the kitchen to the living room. pulls himself up on everything.  most people that know george know him to be constantly smiley, but here i caught him in a serious face. oh, my sweet, sweet boy...
there is that smile!
the biggest thing by far this week, i have yet to announce on my blog. we wanted to wait until it was actually happening. one of the reasons i married blake was his persistence, and drive to achieve his dreams when he has passion for something. i lack that drive, so i chose blake so i could ride his wave, and enjoy successes without having to break a sweat. lol.

his dream is happening now. this week blake has spent his mornings at the Portland Art Museum, helping to curate a new Mesoamerican exhibit featuring many pieces from his own tribal jewelry collection. in addition to loaning the artifacts, he has assisted in the concept, design, and provided text and illustration for the exhibit. he will be educating the docents (museum guides) on the pieces and significance of body adornment in these cultures. the whole experience for blake has been almost too good to be true. but it is and i have the pictures to prove it. the exhibit should  be open in less than a week. more updates when the time comes.

standing by the Mayan case, in progress:
B-notes guide the display...he has provided the series of labrets to illustrate the stretching process:
a mock up of some educational material. bet most of you didn't know that a one time blake was a scientific illustrator, and he is so excited to get to do a drawing for the exhibit showing where and what jewelry a Mayan would have worn:

everything else is going well. tomorrow night we get to go see nine inch nails! 

11 comments:

elliesmadre said...

That is so awesome! I bet he is just over the moon. :) I can't wait to go check out the exhibit.

I saw NIN many years ago in the Bay Area. Maybe 13 years ago? It was a good show. I think David Bowie opened up for him?? It's been awhile. ;) Have fun!

LA RN said...

Over the moon for Blake! How long will the exhibit be, well, exhibited?

Damn, Geo is cute!

I'll ask Noah (when he's awake) about some duck pointers...

UrbanHippieMama said...

I'm so excited for Blake!!! What a dream come true...

I wish Icould help you with the duck--can't wait to try it after you perfect it, though...ha ha ha ;)

And that damn little meatfat is sooooo cute. seriously. beautiful.

love you!

Nicole said...

Keep up the incredible historian work B! I am so happy for you.
As to the duck, I would cook it at 325 or 350, with extra fluid. Like a turkey, baste it regularly (every 10-15 min or so).
OMG, I want to hug and kiss George.
Love to all of you!

Bill & Savannah said...

Exciting news, WOW, go Daddy Nomad, you ROCK.

I still remember refusing to eat my pet duck after my Pop killed it... And I was a true ranch girl. Fine eating the pigs, chickens, goats but WHAHHHHH about my duck.

Savvy

radishly said...

Yay! Congrats to you both!

Holy shit, I totally forgot about the Bowie/NIN show I saw sooooooooooooooooooooooooo long ago. Damn brain.

leahsmom said...

Yeah, I'm so glad I could watch the kids so you could attend your concert. I am also happy that Blake is able to share his treasures and be a part of such an important art exhibit. Thanks for the exceptional hospitality, Blake and Leah. I had and excellent time with you all. MoM

LittleYogini said...

Checkin' in on you and your fam. Adorable as always. xoxo

Mrs. G. said...

Congrats to your Blake on such an exciting project. And that baby? Send him to me now!

MrNakedMonkey said...

For duck, I like the steam and sear method....


We are super excited to see Blake's exhibit at PAM. Let us know when it opens and we are there :)

(Joi)

Nora Bee said...

Impressive! Congrats to you both.