Monday, November 16, 2009

29 by 29

me with my broth containers--thanks to MG for taking my picture!


so you facebookers may know that i challenged myself to do 29 workouts before i turned 29--at the time, this gave me about 11 weeks which seemed like plenty of time, especially since i was basically going from 0 exercise, to about three times a week. i began the first few weeks with uphill walks around the neighborhood, and then started doing my favorite denise austin video, fat-burning yoga--one good hour of strength training and stretching (plus a killer ab workout), but not a lot of cardio. then i finally popped in the Shred Level 2 workout that Breana gave me, and boy am i glad i didn't just watch it first because it might have scared me off for good. i survived the intense 20 minute workout but decided that i would rather push myself extremely hard for half the time, than go back to my not-as-demanding but full hour routine. a mother's time is precious! the shred workout is crazy because you are working multiple areas at once in three circuits: stength, cardio, and abs. almost enough to make you want to die but just enough so you can survive the 20 minutes. its hilarious, too, because i don't have real weights so i scan the pantry before each workout for something to hold, usually some 2 pound broth containers!

so where am i at now? well, i've done 26 workouts and my birthday is on friday. that means i have to now bump it up to everyday this week, from my usual tues-thurs-sat routine, and i will reach my goal (and i won't have to workout ON my birthday, i hope!!) the results have been totally unexpected--i'll be honest and say i thought i would have dropped at LEAST ten pounds, i was hoping for 15. but nooooooo. i've GAINED 7!! i know its muscle, that is obvious since i feel way stronger and have a new definition to my arms and legs that was not there before. but its disappointing. i wanted to be down a size and into clothes that i wore pre-george. i also thought the working out would "kick-in" some natural weight loss, now that baby Geo is 18 months and barely nurses. oh well. it is what it is. maybe i'll keep it up through the holidays....

3 comments:

LittleYogini said...

Girl, I'm gonna tell you the words you don't wanna hear...cuz I hate hearing them myself.

About 60-70% of weight loss has to do with what and how much you put in your mouth.

I hate it, but that comes from much personal experience, experimentation, and research. Working out will only do so much on it's own, so if you're super serious about losing weight you gotta watch what you eat. If you want to discuss further, contact me via FB and I'll let you know what's worked for me.

Good luck fitting into your pre-G clothes....I'm trying to fit into my pre-management-position clothes too. Not easy AT ALL! Grrr!

Mama Nomad said...

ha! calories in, calories out...i know the drill. when i work out i am pretty cal conscious, but if i cut back too much i'm hungry, and we don't eat a lot of fluff around here either--its all whole grains and veggies and fruit and meat. no eating out ever b/c of the allergy and i way backed off of the dessert too. the only thing i could probably cut back on is the beer/wine....but WAAHH!!!

i did an experiment a while back where i didn't eat/drink anything after 9 pm, which was a huge deal and it didn't make a difference. i am sure doing both--working out and not eating anything after 9--would make an impact, though...

thanks S!

pjackson2009@charter.net said...

What size weights do you want for your b-day? 3# 4# or 5#?