Monday, March 17, 2008

Uncle Tom

My mom's uncle, Tom Chamberlain, passed away this morning at age 94....isn't that incredible?--he was born in 1913! We all think it is very sweet and fitting that the Irishman chose St. Patrick's Day for his departure.

Tom was one of three brothers: Tom, Dick, and Harry....no, I am not kidding you. Dick was my mom's dad. Since Tom lived in Bend we saw him occassionally, and he was the epitome of a dear sweet old man, with all of his marbles--full of stories, too. In fact, he was at our wedding, and I have been told repeatedly my him and my mother, that our wedding was the time of his life. He was VERY impressed with the belly dancers...I don't think a good Irish-Catholic boy like Tom had seen anything like that up close before!

My mom had been visiting him often, and saw him the night before. He lived in a house in Deschutes River Woods that he himself had built (he was a woodworker by trade)--actually when our family of 5 first moved to Bend, that was the house we lived in, and I remember it well.


An Irish toast:

May the nourishment of the earth be yours,
May the clarity of light be yours,
May the fluency of the ocean be yours,
May the protection of the ancestors be yours.

3 comments:

UrbanHippieMama said...

what a beautiful poem. and that is so neat that he built his house and your family lived in it!!
sending love to your family.
xoxo

LA RN said...

Sweet Uncle Tom! Noah and I use a table on our patio that he built. A couple of days before he died, I was telling Noah that I hoped Tom would die in his sleep at his house. Noah asked what Tom had done in his life and I told him how he worked with wood. "In fact, that table was made by Uncle Tom". Noah looked at it in a whole new light.

Remember when Aunt Wanda got a "hole in one" at the Redmond golf course? She ruled!

Wireless said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.