Monday, October 13, 2008

From the life of Mama Nomad

I am joining Mrs. G and her followers in a pictoral "Day in the Life." So without further ado, here is what 4 out of 5 days of the week look like for Mama Nomad...


Lucky me, I like to sleep in and Papa Nomad takes the baby downstairs with him around 8 am. I roll out around 9:30 and usually see this first thing as I head downstairs:

Blake and I split making breakfast about half the time (depends on who gets hungriest first...)--today Blake hands me a plate while I hold George over his little potty. Our breakfast always, ALWAYS involves eggs, some sort of pork product, and toast. Mmmmmm, pork....

Before I can even fathom anything in my life, I MUST have a clean kitchen. I call this default kitchen, and once achieved, life can proceed.
so I drink a little black tea....(cup #1)

...and turn the kitchen into this!

This little one hangs out with me while I do the job. (Mayan and Blake run to Costco.)


Oh, guess what time it is! (cup of tea #2 in corner)

Sitting and nursing always attracts a crowd...first the cat...then this little lady appears and asks "Mama, will you read me a book?"
Of course I will!

Once freed from the pile, I head to my little office area to check emails, and my to-do list. My mom just stoked me out with this desk so now I feel like a "grown-up"....

Mayan gets going on her homeschooling:

and the babe sleeps in his hammock:

so for the next while, I am back and forth between the desk and helping the girls with their work....what a productive crew!

Lunch time--leftovers. Today--chicken with pomegranate and walnuts.

Baby wakes from nap and is ready for a refill:

You'll never guess what happens next! "Mama....."

I make some cocoa for my sweeties (and cup #3 of tea for me) while they do a puzzle. I do more kitchen puttering....

Back to the computer to do some research. (Same cup as tea, I think..) For those that do not know this is called NAKing (nursing at keyboard):

and he's down again for a late afternon snooze:

Blake gets home around 6 and I command Blake to "stand here and stir" we collaborate on dinner:

After a hearty meal, Mayan and I play a rousing game of Mancala and I have a glass of wine:

Blake bathes and reads to Isadore upstairs, while Mayan and I start a new chapter book--Little Women! George assumes the position, Mayan crochets:

Ah, the kids are put to bed...what shall we do??

Watch Boston Legal on Netflix and drink another glass of wine....why what were YOU thinking?

I check on Georgie, still fast asleep...

and crawl in to bed with a glass of milk, a piece of zucchini bread, and watch an episode of Seinfeld before drifting off...hopefully I'll get an hour or two in of uninteruppted sleep before the baby wakes and I bring him into bed with us.


Did that seem terribly dull?? Believe or not, I love (nearly) every minute of it! It's true....*happy sigh*

FYI--we will be in Seattle for most of next week, so no posts from me...biut I am looking forward to ctching up on all of your blogs when I get home. Cheers!

20 comments:

Rae Rice said...

Nicole's sister Rachel here....I love that you did this blog. I commend your ability to get the kitchen cleaned! It seems as though you are content in your life (and could you not be with all those lovely children.)

Jennifer said...

I want a hammock! I'm here visiting from the Manor. Your family looks great! Such a simple life. I loved reading Little Woman when I was a girl and crocheting. I too nursed at the computer. Being mom turns you into multitasking pro.
Thanks for sharing your day.

g said...

Oh, I love the smile on your face at the end.

NAK - great verb!

a square peg said...

what a lovely day, and what an adorable family you have! i miss nursing...

Rebekah said...

You are so beautiful. I LOVE voyeuring (sure it's a verb!) on you! MWAH!

Mrs. G. said...

I can see why you would love your daily life. Your house operates much like mine did when my kids were young.

Where can I get one of those hammocks?

Amy said...

I want your life. LOL

I think I'll do this tomorrow, what fun!

Nicole said...

Ok, first off, love the blow by blow. It just rocks.
2ndly, love some of the refences like the chicken with pomegrantes and walnuts, and boston legal.
Makes me feel not so far away!
Have fun in Seattle!
Love-
N

Saucy said...

That hammock is WAY COOL! I can tell from this post that you have a happy and harmonious home life. Nice!

Emily said...

Oooh. I want a hammock, too.

Thanks for sharing your day.

Karen said...

Sounds like a wonderful day to me. And can I just say I love that your baby sleeps in a hammock?! Thanks for sharing!

UrbanCowgirl said...

a Wonderful post - I love the hammock! And that is quite some hair your baby has :-)

Deirdre said...

That didn't seem boring at all - it seemed wonderful and warm and full of great family memories for your kids.

Thanks for sharing.

ps just curious -- does the caffeine in the tea affect the baby at all? he seems like a good sleeper, so probably not, huh.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It looks lovely.

Lee said...

I love default kitchen -- I always need a default kitchen, too!

This was a really fun post! :)

M said...

I love the idea of the default kitchen! I too love the default kitchen. And the default bedroom, office, lounge room, laundry.

Thanks for sharing your day. There is no such thing as an ordinary day.

Jstar said...

what a lovely glimpse into your day! you have a pretty sweet deal going there :)

leahsmom said...

Mom here. Back on the internet! I'm so happy to see you using our own family heirloom. That desk is as old as you. I feel like I just spent the day with you. Thanks for sharing your pictures and " a day in the life". Love you all so tremendously.

Marketing Mama said...

great pictoral! Love all the pictures. The hammock is really cool... never seen that before for a baby. :)

UrbanHippieMama said...

i LOVE this idea! i tried to do it several times when kiran was younger and i felt the need to document the craziness, i think for a sense of validation and to know that later i'd be able to look back on it from a different place and possible appreciate and even :gasp: miss parts of it.
i really really love the picture of you in bed... it is beautiful--i love the expression on your face. :)
xo